Video poker has been around for some years now and it is undeniably the casino game where the house-edge is the least palpable. For traditional poker players, it is often a misunderstood side of the game and rightly so. The similarities between online poker and video poker might only be boiling down to the name and hand combinations, the rest is very different.
Video poker vs online poker
- In video poker, you play against the house or the website if you play online. As opposed to most online poker offerings, you do not get to play against other players when you play video poker.
- The video poker’s variants are different from those found in traditional poker.
- Hand values and rankings are also very different from poker while still using three-of-a-kinds, straights and flushes, some hands in some variants can be stronger than others through particular rules.
- Payouts, as such, are also different. Since there is no other player to play with you, the payout is determined by the strength of the hand you manage to make after the final draw.
- Rules and game play are also very different from online poker, you play against the house but the house does not hold cards, you usually need to make a combination to win.
Types of game
As mentioned, the video poker’s variants list is very different from traditional poker. Since you usually need to make a combination of cards to win, the variants’ names often refer to the weakest hand needed to win anything in the given video poker variants.
Jacks or better
Jacks or better or 9/6 Jacks or Better, you win nine times your bet with a full-house and six times your bet with a flush. Other variations exist like 10/6 or 9/7 or games like Tens or Better on the same model.
- You win one time your bet if you have a pair of Jacks or better.
- You win two times your bet if you have two pair.
- Three times your bet if you have a three-of-a-kind.
- Four times with a straight.
- Six (or seven) times for a flush.
- Nine (or ten) times for a full house.
- Twenty-five times for a four-of-a-kind.
- Fifty times for a straight flush.
- Eight hundred times for a royal flush.
Double Bonus video poker: This variant has been very popular and is similar to Jacks or Better. It adds bonus payouts for four-of-a-kind aces, deuces, threes and fours.
Aces and eights
Aces and Eights is very similar to Jacks or Better too but it adds two additional payouts for four-of-a-kind aces and eights:
- You win fifty times your bet if you have a four-or-a-kind of eights.
- Eighty times your bet if you have four-of-a-kind aces.
Deuces Wild has a 100.76% payout percentage in best online casinos. The payout is different from Jacks or Better or Aces and Eights video poker. In Deuces Wild, deuces can replace any card of your hand to count towards special Deuces Wild hand ranking:
- You win two hundred times your bet if you have four-of-a-kind deuces.
- Twenty to twenty-five times you bet if you show a Wild Royal Flush. It means you can make a royal flush with the combination of the deuces cards and the non-deuces cards you are holding.
- The payout starts with a three-of-a-kind where you are only paid the amount of your bet.
Double Double Bonus video poker adds bonus payouts for four-of-a-kind with an ace, a deuce, a three or a four kicker card. Deuces and Joker is one of the only games that offers a better payout than a natural royal flush. Get four deuces and a joker to win ten thousands times your bet! Jokers Wild have different versions changing the lowest rewarding hand. Kings or better is considered to be the best variation of Joker Wild video poker. Bonus Deuces Wild rewards four-of-a-kind deuces ace kicker. It also adds payouts for five-of-a-kinds aces, threes, fours and fives.
Play video poker for free
Before playing for real money, it is important that you get acquainted with the game and play video poker for free. Every reliable online casino offers a free play version of their video poker offering, use it to train your strategic fundamentals. You can also try Facebook and other social media online casinos, which also offer you no deposit promotions with a shot at winning real money without depositing any.
Video poker for beginners
Always keep your video poker experience fun. This often needs disciplined playing bankroll management. Do not ever play more than you can afford to lose and avoid playing more than 5% of your playing bankroll in one go. Read and inform yourself as much as you can on the winning edge you can get from the video poker variant you have chosen. Do not hold too long on draws and don’t overestimate kicker cards in your drawing strategy. We also have our amazing guide for video poker strategy.
Playing online video poker for real money
Once you have played a few hands for free and you have a good plan to enjoy your experience, a few steps are advised to take the best out of your first real money video poker session: Perform a market study amongst the best online casinos’ bonus offers available in the US. There are many out there ready to spend extra cash on new customers. Consider no deposit bonuses for starters, it will give you a real shot at winning real money with no starting investment. Read the terms and conditions page and make sure the casino you have chosen is reliable and well known in the gambler’s community.
Where to play
Pay close attention to the game payout percentage. You will be able to play different variations in the best online casinos available in the US:
Keep in mind that Deuces Wild, Double Bonus and Jokers Wild are the online video poker game variants with the best edge against the house.
A final word
You like playing online but you are often uncomfortable with the pace or time needed to play online poker? Online video poker is the perfect fit for you, sit back, relax and have fun playing. No dealer nor angry player will come at you to rush your decision making process. Video poker is also the casino game that offers one of the best winning edges against the house with variants that can have more than 100% return. Enjoy your experience wisely, learn about your game and establish a plan to stick to and you should be all good to go and why not… win big!